The Foundation of the Museum

The necessity to establish a museum in Ogre was first expressed on October 23, 1980 in the resolution No 231 “On Establishing a Museum in Ogre” adopted by Ogre district Council of People’s deputies. It states, “There are 5.5 thousand museum units collected concerning the cultural workers and the history of the district. The material makes it possible to establish a permanent scientific exposition aiming at the reflection of historical events in the district and the achievements of the Soviet times”. On the basis of the mentioned document, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Latvia and the Council of Ministers of LSSR adopted a resolution No 269 “On Establishing Ogre History and Art Museum” on May 12, 1981. Consequently, July 1, 1981 is considered to be the foundation date of the museum.

Completion and study of the museum collection

On 09.12.1981, the Ministry of Culture of LSSR adopted order No 651 “On Depositing Exhibits in Permanent Storage” which became a starting point for the museum collection. Aizkraukle (at that time – Stucka) museum handed over 459 exhibits concerning the history of Ogre district to the newly founded Ogre History and Art museum. They were documentary materials about the cultural and social life and people (e.g., photo of opening Parogre railway station in 1931), as well as “compulsory add-ons” from the Soviet times (a Soviet Army soldier’s army book, trousers, a blouse, a mess-tin, a photo of a Korean soldier from the place of his service on the border of China and Manchuria in 1945). Yet, the museum collection has always been mostly directed to gathering the materials about Ogre city and its surroundings.

On July 10, 1982, the first exhibition of the artist Rasma Zake’s posters and works of the participants of Applied Art studio “Saiva” was opened in the museum. Since then, art and thematic exhibitions have been organized regularly.

The second half of the 80ies started a purposeful study of Ogre resort. The museum collected materials on the historical construction in Ogre, the summer houses and their inhabitants, and wrote down memories, organized exhibitions, meetings, encounters and thematic social events. In the 90ies, besides historical issues, the studies were carried out on history of culture, including architectural monuments, history of schools, churches, manor houses, parks, taverns, dwelling houses and household buildings, as well as personalities. The museum holds a vast range of the mentioned materials, which are used as a basis for exhibitions, publications, lectures, meetings, thematic social events and polygraphic presentations.


The directors of the museum:

Mаris Zvaigzne: 1981 – 1984

Baiba Ritere: 1984 – 1987

Vladimirs Eihenbaums: 1987 – 1991

Vita Rinkevica: 1991 – 1998

Andris Birznieks: 1998 – 2002

Iveta Ruskule:  2002 - 2015

Evija Smiltniece: since 2015


 .